Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Life is for the Dogs

Warning: this is not paintball related.

We got a puppy last might. When I say we, I mean my immediate family which consists of myself, my wife, my adopted niece (15) and my adopted nephew (14). It's been something that's been in the works for a long time (several years). I was the sole naysayer when the discussion of dog ownership came up. It's not that I don't like dogs. I grew up with a dog as a kid and was quite attached to it. It was part of the family and I was very sad when my father had to take it for its last car ride to the vet, even though I wasn't living at home anymore.

But as an adult I weighed all the pros and cons and realized that although I like dogs, there are too many negative aspects to owning a dog. First there is the expense. I wasn't thrilled watching my wife peel off the hundred dollar bills yesterday to purchase the dog. Then she peeled off a few more to get some basic supplies and food and toys. I know the ongoing cost of food won't be stopping. Then there will be the vet bills like having to get the dog "fixed" (apparently they come out broken) as well as all its "shots".

Then there is the inconvenience and cost of the damage that it will be doing. In the first 12 hours of ownership, our new love and joy has vomited in a car, tried to chew a chair (part of a new $5,000 dining room set), urinated on the new hardwood, and ran it's paws down our leather couches several times attempting to climb up. Oh and no one in the house got much sleep last night. It seems new dogs don't like being left alone in a new strange house while everyone is sleeping (or trying to).

I'm really looking forward to finding someone to look after her when we want to head out of town for a weekend or longer holiday. Shouldn't be a problem. Everyone loves dogs.

Those early morning and late evening walks in the cold, rainy weather will be delightful, I'm sure.

Oh yes, and then there is the dog doo doo to deal with. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of being sent out into the back yard to dig a hole and then retrieving dog doo doo to fill it up with. Of course these days when you take your dog out for a walk, it's the dogs master that does the dirty work. Sccop the poop. When I was a kid, people just let their dog squat on the side of the trail and then pretended not to notice and walk away. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with people cleaning up after their dogs as is now common practice, I'm just not looking forward to it.

I was out voted in getting a dog, but that doesn't mean I don't get to spend quality time with it. It's sleeping beside me right now as a matter of fact. You see my wife works and both the kids go to school and I work mostly out of our home during the week, so guess who is going to spend the majority of quality time with our little bundle of joy?

Do I sound bitter? Maybe I am a bit. But I do get to share in the pros of dog ownership as well. I get to pet it and even hug it if I want. The doggie breath and drool really isn't all that bad, once you settle with the fact that it's your dog and a member of the family and not just some random dog's bad breath and drool.

The kids fought all last night and this morning about who can spend time with the dog. I know this will change within about a month to fighting over who has to spend time with the dog. Right now the dog is getting lots of attention. Lots of petting and hugging from everyone in the family (yes even me, although not too much hugging). But I know that it won't be too long before we'll be making the kids spend time with the dog so it doesn't feel neglected.

But that's enough off topic stuff. I've got to go anyway as the dog is whining . I think it needs to go outside again. now where did I put the shovel? Hope I can find it before someone steps in it. Oh well. Shit happens!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have my wife read this.

    She keeps expressing the desire to have a dog.

    I keep vetoing, for all the reasons you have mentioned far more succinctly than I have.

    ReplyDelete